Valentine’s Day – Simple and Sweet

Happy Valentine’s Day!

Valentine’s Day-  Simple and Sweet

We’ve all seen it and have said it. Valentine’s Day is just another holiday for the rich to become richer and the poor poorer. A day for spending to much money on flowers that will die, candy that will melt in your mouth on the way to your hips, and teddy bears that are darn cute but end up being another dust collector.  Don’t get me wrong at one point in time those money eating gifts were very welcome. There were times when I’d walk into my office after lunch and find 2 dozen roses, a teddy and box of chocolate. I would get all mushy etc. Not to mention how it was fun watching all the jealous on lookers!! But really I think back now on the $$$ spent and wonder why I didn’t ask for the receipt so I could return them.

Every year . . . 2 weeks before V-Day I’d say to the hubby, don’t buy me flowers, candy or a teddy. I always felt ungrateful for saying those things, but $300 looks better on my shoulder with the word Coach on it? HA!  kidding. He finally got it and that’s when our Valentine’s Days became simple and sweet.

Valentine’s Day should be Simple and Sweet, a little scribbled note left on his desk, little sticky note heart on the bathroom door. Lipstick love yous on the bathroom mirrors and don’t forget to put a little heart on the sliding glass door of your shower. A love note in his lunch box, laptop bag, or even on his laptop screen. Those are the things that mean something.  Yes I say his, but this goes for you guys too! Simple and sweet, trust me a little note saying I love you, or a little saying that only you two share is more powerful than that dozen roses.

I’ve made many homemade cards, photo frames and cute little coupon books for all the holidays. It feels good to see your love enjoying something you’ve made with your hands. This year was no different, I guess I am a mushy romantic and love being in love. I’ve always said when I love someone I do it with all I have. That’s the way love is supposed to be right? Not to long ago I lost myself and forgot what love meant. (that’s for another day though) Back to Simple and Sweet.

Here’s how we started our Valentine’s day off at that McConnell household.

5:00am alarm goes off…. (30 minutes earlier than normal) *dead asleep* I hit the snooze button.  5:15 am *buzzzzzz buzzzz* damn alarm again … annoyed because the alarm was going off again and so damn earlier. I peek out the corner of my eye and see 5:15am, why in sam’s hill was I getting up so early? Then it hits me, *slaps self* it’s Valentine’s Day you’ve got to get up or you won’t be ready on time. Rolling out of bed *shhh I do that sometimes*, HA! no not because I have to roll out of bed, but it’s my way of saying “ugggh, ok … ok… I am getting up” anyways back to the Simple and Sweet.

I wanted to start our day off with a little treat, a little bit of love and send him off to work knowing I care.  So I baked cinnamon buns, set the table for love, added a couple “handmade” gifts and viola a Valentine’s Day morning set for a king (we’ll you know what I mean)

Valentines-Day-Morning

click on image for larger view.
I am crafty not a photographer. (disregard the glare) :P

Valentines Day 2012 - Simple and Sweet 7 Valentines Day 2012 - Simple and Sweet 4

I made the black book in a recent product review, (which includes, our wedding song, poems I’ve given him over the years, little things that only him and I share)  the little glass red rose has a meaning see it here. The picture was from our wedding day March 27, 2007. Valentine’s M&M’s (his favorite candy was the most expensive thing on the table, well if you don’t include the wedding :P

** The little glass red rose, brown I love you book, and the two vases were bought from the dollar store.

This is only the start of our Simple and Sweet Valentine’s Day, I’ll share the rest of our day later.

Happy Valentine’s Day Everyone!!

Love is simple and sweet . . .

In conjunction with YouTube Tuesday; a tradition started by Josh at It’s Tiger Time, below is my contribution. If you have a video you’d like to share go leave it on Josh’s linky link up.

Amazed –  my wedding song

Comments

1. Charles says

Wow, awesome blog layout! How long have you been blogging for? you made blogging look easy. The overall look of your web site is great, as well as the content!. Thanks For Your article about Valentine’s Day – Simple and Sweet .

2. Neville Ruot says

I think everything posted was very reasonable. But, what about this? what if you typed a catchier post title? I ain’t saying your information is not solid, but suppose you added something that makes people want more? I mean Valentine’s Day – Simple and Sweet | Scattered Musings of A Creative Mind is kinda boring. You could peek at Yahoo’s front page and note how they create article titles to grab people interested. You might add a related video or a pic or two to get readers interested about what you’ve written. In my opinion, it could make your posts a little bit more interesting.

3. says

Deborah, this was really sweet and totally reinforces my thoughts on Valentine’s Day about keeping it simple and romantic. I loved your table setting! I also love Coach;) I hope your day was as amazing as your attitude!

• Deborah says

Leah, thanks for visiting :) Glad I could help reinforce something you already believed! Thank you for the lovely compliments. Coach when it’s mentioned in my house, he seems to think I am referring to football LOL :P

Thank you my day was awesome!!

4. says

I love it!!!! The table looks so nice! I’m getting ready to post my 14th day of love in a few you’ll have to check it out, I ended up doing something along these lines as well!

• Deborah says

Nichole, thank you sweetie!! Oh I am going to have to stop by again to see. Great minds think alike :)

Thanks for featuring me on your site :)

5. says

What a wonderful way to celebrate Valentine’s day. So much more love and thought in this than the expensive presents, so easy to walk into a shop and buy. Hope the rest of your day was as wonderful

• Deborah says

Thanks for stopping by, I was at your site earlier :) I completely agree about the gifts.. The rest of my day was wonderful thank you :)

6. says

what a wonderful way to remind your partner .. although i tried the lipstick on the mirror trick and had a lot of explaining to do .. ;)

• Deborah says

alan, dear sweet, crazy friend. HA!! You had me laughing at lipstick…. Like playing dress up much :P

I think you might have ocd!!
      Have a great day!!

7. ShortNRed says

Hello Scatteredmusings,
    This might be off topic, however, I have $40 for a gift I want to do something romantic and sweet at the same time. I was thinking maybe a rose and a big Teddy bear saying I love you and taking her out for a movie? Would that be a good gift? Girls how would you react to this?
    Keep up the posts!

• Deborah says

Single red rose, a hand written note card, and a simple dinner. Even a single red rose, a handwritten note, a redbox movie at home is good :)

8. Andy says

Hello Deborah.
    A romantic…just like me…glad I’m not alone…more like us are needed (smile)!
    My wife & I gave up buying each other expensive presents years ago…just seemed like such a waste of precious funds. I’m always surprising her with little notes when she least expects it. My joy is seeing the reaction on her face & the happy tears in her eyes. Not so long ago, she wrote me a letter & asked me not to open it until I got to work. As soon as I had a moment to spare, I read her letter & I’m not ashamed to tell you it had me in tears. No store-bought gift could ever replace or express her heartfelt words. For me & for her, it’s the little things we do for each other or say to each other that mean the most.

To me, you getting up early to prepare a special breakfast & all the other little things you did to make today memorable speaks volumes about your romanticism & your love. Not heard your wedding song before, but it was very nice. Thank you for sharing it with us. Have a wonderful evening (wink, wink, nudge, nudge…(smile).

• Deborah says

Andy, thank you for stopping by. No shame in tears of love and joy… I love little notes, and the sweet little things he does. It’s such a wonderful feeling knowing that I had a part in his joy, smile and yes even tears. Love it such a beautiful thing, it’s even better when you don’t have to work at it and it just comes naturally :)

hehe you have a wonderful romance filled evening too! (wink wink) and you’ve got the perfect cuddle weather :) *winks*

Thanks again …. Oh I loved your youtube contribution.

9. says

What a sweet and wonderful Valentine start to your day. I loved the song, I am sure I have heard it but don’t remember. You are such a sweet and loving woman to do this for your husband. Happy Valentine’s Day.

• Deborah says

Jan, thank you for stopping by and leaving such a sweet comment.
      Sometimes things just come naturally :)

Happy Valentine’s Day to you too!

I saw your Youtube contribution… loved it!!

10. says

That is all so very sweet. I hate that Valentine’s Day has turned into how much $ is being spent. I do not believe that is what it is suppose to be about.
    I have given you The Versatile Blogger Award-http://www.grandmassecretstosavings.com/2012/02/versatile-blogger-award.html.
    Follow the link for complete instructions on what to do next:) Hope the rest of your day is wonderful and safe.

• Deborah says

Lisa, thanks for stopping by. Thank you so much for the award :) I’ll stop by tomorrow and claim it!! Thanks again ! Happy Valentine’s Day ..

11. Have Sippy Will Travel Mommy Blogger says

this is such an adorable post! i am going to FWD it to my friend- she will love it. happy v day!

• Deborah says

Awww thank you for coming by :) Happy Valentine’s day to you too! Ohh you have a toy fair over at your blog… I’ll head over in a few ..

12. Jessica @ Mom 4 Real says

I agree…love should be simple and sweet, not overdone and commercialized. My husband usually gives me chocolate covered strawberries from Old Kentucky Chocolates…they make them fresh once a year, and I love the simplicity of it. This year, he threw in Breaking Dawn, which I haven’t seen yet.

Jessica @ Mom 4 Real

• Deborah says

Jessica thanks for stopping by. Yummmm I thought about doing chocolate covered strawberries too!! I love love them … Oh I haven’t seen Breaking Dawn yet either, let me know how it is. :)

Happy Valentine’s Day !!

• Deborah says

Jess, my love .. Thank you for stopping by … Ha.. there’s a big mush romantic fool underneath all this tough exterior :P

Kisssss kisss beautiful

• Deborah says

Baldy, the man in love with his iPad :P thanks for stopping by!! I have started reading your email.. It’s very interesting!! Thank you kind sir!

13. says

Simple and sweet and a cinnamony treat… aww yes reminds me of the spoils of first love. Ok, well ongoing love, forever love… true love? Yea, I got nothing. Love is a thin line for me, between misery and the 4×4 she used to break his ankles with. In all seriousness though, I think it’s wonderful that you do those awesome little things for your love. What does he do for you? Is that the later part? Is it kinky? Will I need some KY while reading it? *slaps my hand* I look forward to the rest of the story and wish you a very happy Valentine’s Day. <3

Jenni … Jenni … Jenni … I love love you girl!!! LOL

He’s super sweet and spoils me rotten :P LMAO When I stop laughing I’ll share the rest of my night :P

Thanks for coming by !